ICA is seeking a Vice President, Communications and Development, to lead a cross-functional team that will help ICA on its mission of closing the racial and gender wealth gaps by growing the ICA brand, overseeing fundraising, and managing the collection and analysis of our impact data. The VP of Communications and Development will report to the CEO and manage a team of three. The position is based in Oakland, CA with hybrid in-office and remote work.
ICA: NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL
People of color, especially women of color, start businesses at higher rates than white people — but are constrained by structural inequities and often overlooked by mainstream funders. Through our coaching, connections, and capital we partner with, mentor, and invest in underestimated Bay Area entrepreneurs to accelerate great businesses and build an economy that works for all.
This opportunity will put you front and center as we experience rapid growth. You will take our communications, development, and impact work to the next level in a deeply rewarding environment because:
- We partner intensely with our entrepreneurs over years and see the impact of our work daily when we buy their products, watch them create new jobs, and grow the local economy.
- We’re proving there is a better way to structure capital and support racial equity in small business through our unique VC/equity model of financing.
- We act like a fast-paced lean startup –combining the best of the for profit and nonprofit worlds with a laser focus on our entrepreneurs.
Reporting directly to the CEO you will lead and leverage a team of three (Marketing Communications Manager, Development Manager, and Impact Associate) to do the following:
Communications and Marketing (40%)
- Raise awareness of our work in the philanthropic and business community through events, publications, social and traditional media.
- Create and execute marketing campaigns to recruit diverse entrepreneurs to ICA accelerator programs, and other events, such as entrepreneur pitches and webinars.
- Manage the development and distribution of creative content including videos, podcasts, blogs, newsletters, white papers, and drip campaigns.
- Maintain and grow our brand through the development of our web presence, visual identity, marketing collateral, and all external facing content.
- With support from the Development Manager and Development consultant, oversee fundraising across a range of corporate, foundation and government donors.
- Maintain an active development pipeline to inspire and smoothly move new funders through the pipeline until funding is secured.
- Partner with the CEO to manage cultivation and stewardship strategies for funders and investors.
- Deepen relationships and create partnerships with existing funders through personal communication, networking, and data sharing.
- Supervise the Development Manager to ensure all grant requirements and deadlines are met in a professional, legal and relationship building manner.
- Develop short, medium, and long-range plans for engaging targeted funders and growing our revenue.
- Manage the collection, analysis, and reporting of our impact data to improve our programs and reflect our progress externally.
- Direct the production & distribution of our Impact Report, case studies, and research projects.
- Create and execute models to quantify the economic “multiplier”effect of our work.
- Implement the use of analytic tools and centralized data across the organization in support of quality internal decision-making.
- Create and manage an annual plan and budget to achieve agreed upon KPIs.
- Find, engage, and oversee a variety of contractors and vendors as needed.
- Build a high-performing team to promote cross-functional cohesion, collaboration, &strategic leverage.
- Grow individual team members’ competencies and skills, & model our culture of operational excellence.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are a communications and development pro who wants to build racial equity and an economy that works for all.
- You are excited when you can leverage multiple communication channels and modes to inspire a variety of audiences to action.
- You instinctively operate from a lens of collaboration – working with others to meet shared goals and balancing the needs of various stakeholders.
- You pride yourself on your exceptional ability to create tools, plans and processes that support complex work, motivate your team, and remove obstacles to achieving results.
- You’re curious about business trends and naturally share and apply your insights to your team’s work.
- You’re eager to try new things – you keep up with best practices and are excited by the ever-changing world of marketing.
- You’re a strong believer in the value of storytelling.
- You believe in using data to “make the case” for real change.
- You thrive in a culture that prioritizes diversity, and values honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
WHAT YOU BRING
8-10years’ experience with a minimum 2-3 years in fundraising in organization with revenues over $2M.
- 3+ years of direct supervisorial experience. Experience growing a team in a high-growth org.a plus.
- Demonstrated success in social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram); digital marketing including the use of Mailchimp, Google My Business, Google Ads, Google Analytics; and SEO strategy.
- Demonstrated success in cultivating and securing >$25,000-dollar grants from high visibility, foundation, government, and institutional funders.
- Exceptional storytelling, presentation, and communication skills.
- A customer-centric approach that prioritizes understanding from the entrepreneurs’, funders’, and investors’, perspectives.
- Demonstrated success in social media (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram) and digital marketing including the use of Google Ads, Google Analytics, and other tools.
- Working ability to use tools such as Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, iMovie/YouTube to design and execute integrated communications campaigns.
- Experience using Salesforce and project management tools such as Asana on a daily basis.
- Understanding of impact measurement and general familiarity with data collection and visualization tools such as Form Assembly and Tableau.
- Experience in racial equity, impact investing, and/or small business a plus.
OUR OFFER AND COMMITMENT
The salary and benefits package for this position is competitive. ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
ICA’s full benefits package includes: 3 weeks of annual paid vacation; 6 days of annual paid sick leave; employer-paid health, dental, vision, life insurance and disability benefits; 50% employer-paid dependent health, dental and vision; and 401(k)plan with matching.
HOW TO APPLY
If this opportunity sounds like it’s for you, please submit a cover letter and resume at ica.fund/careers by July 30 ,2021. If you are not sure if this opportunity is for you, are simply curious, or know someone who would be perfect, please email us.
Download a PDF of this job description.