ICA is seeking a Development Associate to support ICA’s fundraising pipeline and coordinate work across departments to ensure high quality grant-related deliverables in support of its mission to accelerate great businesses in order to close the racial and gender wealth gaps. The Development Associate will report to the ICA’s Director of Development and work collaboratively across the Programs, Investment, Marketing, Finance, and Impact Evaluation departments to support writing and reporting on grants to ICA. The position is based in Oakland, CA with hybrid in-office (Tuesdays and Thursdays) and remote work.
ICA: NOT BUSINESS AS USUAL
People of color, especially women of color, start businesses at higher rates than white people — but are constrained by structural inequities and often overlooked by mainstream funders. Through our coaching, connections, and capital we partner with, mentor, and invest in underestimated Bay Area entrepreneurs to accelerate great businesses and build an economy that works for all.
This opportunity will put you in a critically necessary role as we experience rapid growth. You will help bring our fundraising work to the next level in a deeply rewarding environment because:
- We partner intensely with our entrepreneurs over years and see the impact of our work daily when we buy their products, watch them create new jobs, and grow the local economy.
- We’re proving there is a better way to structure capital and support racial equity in small business through our unique VC/equity model of financing.
- We act like a fast-paced lean startup – combining the best of the for profit and nonprofit worlds with a laser focus on our entrepreneurs.
The Development Associate plays an essential role in securing philanthropic contributions to support ICA’s programs and operations. In collaboration with the CEO, Director of Development, and other internal stakeholders, the Associate will support a growing portfolio of 30+ funders. This includes coordinating complex projects, creating compelling content for grant proposals and reports, and supporting relationship stewardship efforts with funders and their staff. The Associate ensures timely and accurate management of grants and donations, including tracking donor information and status, reporting, recognition, and acknowledgment activities. The Associate will support ICA’s fundraising strategy by maintaining donor profiles in our databases (e.g. Salesforce) and organizing outreach events in partnership with ICA’s Marketing team.
Fundraising Pipeline Management (50%)
- Support the management of a portfolio of 65+ funders and prospects (majority foundations and corporations), including contributing to strategy development and tracking status and next steps.
- Conduct prospect research to diversify and grow ICA’s pipeline of funders.
- Maintain donor and grant databases and files, including maintaining contacts and tracking donations, due dates, and grant pipelines.
- Schedule and prepare for funder meetings, helping to maintain ICA’s relationships with current donors.
- Support donor engagement and stewardship efforts, including managing gifts processing, donor acknowledgment, and routine correspondence with donors through emails, meetings, and other outreach events (e.g. Annual Community Showcase)
Development Operations (50%)
- Manage, report on, and ensure timely follow up on funder-related tasks, deliverables, and timelines.
- Draft grant proposals and reports, including collaborating with ICA’s Program, Investment, and Impact Evaluation teams to gather and integrate new research, data, and stories to match funders’ needs and interests.
- Collaborate with other ICA departments to ensure successful deliverables.
- With Impact team, manage impact data and report on key metrics to funders, including conducting additional data analytics as needed.
- With Finance team, create and track budget proposals and reports.
- With Marketing team, support development of blog posts, annual Impact Report, social media posts, events, and other content. The Associate will also be expected to collaborate with the Marketing team on creating and deploying our events strategy.
- Additional development projects and tasks, as needed, including supporting preparation for ICA’s Board Meetings and ICA’s Annual Community Showcase.
WHO YOU ARE
- You are a skilled collaborator and team player who wants to help build racial equity and an economy that works for all.
- You pride yourself on your project management skills, being able to track complex projects with many moving parts and multiple stakeholders.
- You have strong communication skills and are able to write and edit content with clear, structured, and persuasive narratives. You use data to create strategic and compelling arguments.
- You are a natural relationship-builder and have a strong customer-centric orientation to external investors and funders and internal colleagues.
- You thrive in a culture that prioritizes diversity, and values honesty, integrity, and authenticity.
WHAT YOU BRING
- Strong ability to conduct research, gather data, analyze information, and prepare reports and other materials for external audiences (such as funders) and internal audiences (such as team leaders).
- Strong project management and detail orientation. Able to work independently and cross-functionally. Successfully manages multiple projects with competing deadlines, anticipates obstacles, and gains buy-in from stakeholders.
- Strong storytelling, presentation, and communication skills.
- Enthusiasm for ICA’s mission and values. Strong commitment to racial justice work.
- Knowledge of philanthropic landscape for racial and gender justice, capacity building, and/or community development.
- Knowledge of CDFIs, impact investing, venture capital, and/or small business finance.
OUR OFFER AND COMMITMENT
The annual base salary range for this position is $55,000 to $65,000 dependent upon background and experience, plus an annual bonus depending on performance. ICA is an equal opportunity employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, age, and other legally protected characteristics.
ICA’s full benefits package includes: 3 weeks of annual paid vacation; 7 days of annual paid sick leave; employer-paid health, dental, vision, life insurance and disability benefits; 50% employer-paid dependent health, dental and vision; and 401(k) plan with matching.