ICA is seeking a Controller to ensure and improve adequate and effective internal controls, policies and procedures around our organization's financial and management reporting processes. This expert also ensures our compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and nonprofit industry best practices. In addition, the Controller will be responsible for recording and reporting on ICA’s loan and investment transactions and oversee office operations.
The role in detail:
- Manage and monitor all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements as well as the requirements of donations, grants, investments, contributions, loans, and government contracts.
- Help develop and support short and long-term operational strategies.
- In conjunction with the CEO and other executive team members, establish financial and operating benchmarks, budgets, program monitoring, and reporting standards.
- Oversee and support accounting team with dynamic leadership that creates an environment of trust and productivity. Supervise the Financial Analyst and outsourced service providers. But also be willing to roll up your sleeves and do work directly.
- Manage the risk management program including corporate insurance programs.
- Implement consistent accounting policies, practices, and procedures across all programs, upholding federal, state, and local legal standards by remaining knowledgeable about existing, new, and future legislation.
- Maintain internal control safeguards for the receipt of revenue, costs and both team and organizational budgets and actual expenditures.
- Develop and enforce internal controls to maximize protection of company assets, policies, procedures, and workflow.
- Maximize payroll and HR efficiency through innovative process development and consolidation.
- Manage audit activities with external auditors and ensure that any significant problems or control weaknesses that auditors detect are remedied.
Key knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- A willingness to experiment, try new things, and learn new skills.
- Belief in the ICA mission of closing the racial and gender wealth gap and an ability to think holistically connecting day-to-day finance activities to the mission.
- Professional accounting certification, including CPA, CMA
- CPA highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of employment and business law and nonprofit accounting best practices (GAAP).
- Strong understanding of cash and treasury management.
- 5+ years’ experience as a senior-level accounting or finance manager.
- Strong working knowledge of financial analysis.
- Proven payroll management experience, with a focus on streamlining processes.
- Exemplary history of project management.
- Working knowledge of federal, state, and local tax compliance regulations and reporting.
- General technological literacy a must; expert knowledge of Excel; familiarity and comfort
working with MS Office products, Dropbox, and G Suite.
- Exceptional listener; flexible and empathetic; attention to nuance in all facets of work.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively (verbally and in writing).
- Ability to consistently meet deadlines and prioritize effectively.
- Ability to learn quickly and adjust processes as necessary.
- Analytical and data-driven abilities, as well as soft skills – having a deep understanding of
organizational culture and working processes is critical.
- Able to “wear multiple hats”; able to manage multiple projects at once and prioritize.
- Experience as an entrepreneur or small business owner or familiarity with what it takes to run a
small business, not required, but a plus.
ICA is a nationally-recognized 501(c)3 organization that provides coaching connections and capital to accelerate great businesses in order to close the racial and gender wealth gaps. With a 24-year track record of supporting high-growth companies, ICA makes direct debt and equity investments into Bay Area businesses and provides hands-on advising and business education through its ICA Accelerator.
Our team culture:
At ICA, we believe that entrepreneurs everywhere have the power to transform communities and drive wealth generation. We move with the same entrepreneurial spirit as the small businesses we invest resources and capital into, and support each other through consistent hard work, collective problem solving, and focus. Our culture fosters mutual respect, cooperation, and collegiality in a supportive work environment. For us innovation leads to results and ultimately our impact matters most.
- Competitive salary, complete benefits package including company-paid medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401(k) with company match, 3-weeks paid vacation to start, and a great team.
- Due to the global pandemic the entire ICA team is working remotely but this position is based in Oakland, CA with occasional travel in the SF Bay Area.
- Reports to the Chief Executive Officer